Every Chanukah for close to 80 years, The Selfhelp Home has fried up close to 100,000 latkes. ChiTribe is so excited for the secret recipe shared by Arielle Lewis, Director of Resident Services and Community Outreach at The Selfhelp Home
They have reduced the recipe down from 40 cups of peeled and shredded potatoes to a much more reasonable and quarantine friendly recipe. With this adapted Selfhelp staple that feeds 10 with their fill of delicious latkes. Feel free to cut down further to meet your household COVID needs. Or go ahead and eat them all yourself. Happy Hannukah from The Selfhelp Home
Here is what you need to feed 10 hungry friends:
• 4 cups of peeled & shredded potatoes
• ½ cup of grated onions
• 5 tablespoons of salt- more? You decide!
• 5 eggs
• ¼ cup of flour
• Around 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying
(Grapeseed oil for faster and quicker browning)
Chanukah Happiness in 10 Easy Steps:
1. Peel and shred the potatoes, remove the liquid with a cheese cloth-or do it the old-fashioned way and squeeze by hand a little at a time.
2. Shred the onions and mix them with the potatoes.
3. In a large bowl, beat or whisk eggs with the salt.
4. Mix the eggs and potatoes and onions together.
5. Add the flour a little at a time.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until it’s hot.
7. Place a scoop of the potatoes mixture in the hot oil.
8. Press down on each scoop to form a ¼ inch or ½ inch patty.
9. Brown on both sides, and let the oil drain on a paper tow1el.
10. Serve hot with applesauce and sour cream on the side.